Important changes for freight carriers between the EU and the UK

If you are transporting goods between the EU and Great Britain (GB), you should prepare now for the new customs rules which will be introduced from January 1, 2022.

Full customs checks will be required from January 1, 2022 for all goods that are:

exported from the EU to the UK, and

imported into the EU from Great Britain.

This means that from January 1, 2022:

► Companies will not be able to delay the import declaration of goods they import from the EU to Great Britain. Eurotunnel will use the GVMS from January 1, so you will need to make sure that the company you are transporting goods for makes import declarations before the trip.

You must register for GVMS now if you plan to transport goods from January 1. If you are not registered, you will not be able to travel and cross the border between the EU and the UK.

Eurotunnel will require that the pre-filed declaration references be linked together within a single reference number, called the Commodity Movement Reference (GMR). You will need to present a valid GMR via the Border Pass or at the Pit-stop. The freight carrier usually creates a GMR, but the customs agent or freight forwarder can also do so by agreement with the carrier. You only need to create one GMR per vehicle.

Find out how to get a GMR on the website

► Drivers transporting goods via Eurotunnel may need to have their goods checked in a UK IBF before departure or upon arrival in Great Britain.

► Drivers will need to check their customs status during the trip via the Eurotunnel Driver Info app or on the screens on board club cars to find out if their goods need to be checked at a UK IBF.

► If they wish, drivers can also check the status of the GMR on the UK government website before arriving in Britain.

Click on the link to find out how to get a GMR on the website

How to register for the GVMS service ?

If you are a carrier planning to move goods across the UK border from 1 January 2022, you must register with GVMS now.

From January 1, if you are not registered, you will not be able to:

► travel

► cross the border between the EU and the UK, and

► clear your goods.

You must register with GVMS if you are a carrier. This includes if you are:

* an independent driver who transports goods and performs his own customs formalities,

* a company which subcontracts the withdrawal of goods on behalf of another company,

* a logistics company, engaged to transport goods and carry out customs formalities on behalf of another company

* a large retail business, which transports and declares its own goods.

Before registering, you must obtain a:

► Registration and identification number of economic operators (EORI) of the UK

► Government Gateway account

You can do this and register for GVMS now on the website.

Share this article...