Travelling from the uk to France

How to follow the right process in order to manage the borders control?

Travelling from the UK to France

Depending on the type of transport, you need one of the four options below:


• TAD : Transit Accompanying Document ( for goods under Transit regime)

• Import Pre Declaration Barcodes


• TIR/ATA Carnet

•  Sanitaries and Phyto-sanitaries documents ( if applied)

Note: Empty trailers and postal goods must have a GMR (Good Movement number)

 Starting from January 1st, 2021, before entering Kent, you must have a valid permit by completing the Check a HGV is Ready to Cross the Border, through this link, this check list will make sure all your paperwork are in order to cross to the EU.

Note: Without this permit you might be subject to a fine of 300£. 
You must send an Entry Summary ENS for all transport from UK to EU

This transmission should be done before crossing the border between UK & EU on the French ICS (exceptions: Postal deliveries, Vehicles with registration in EU)


This ENS should be sent 2 hours before the arrival at the port and terminal


Mandatory tests for drivers before entering France.

Arrival at the port :

Drivers of loaded trailers should present correct declaration MRNs (on a piece of paper or mobile device) at Move Expert we can send your MRN number when processing your booking with our ferry service.


For empty trailers, drivers should complete the standard check-in process including border exit checks, and move to the loading lanes in preparation to board the vessel (accompanied) or take the trailer where instructed within the yard (unaccompanied)


Arrival in France:

Depending on the status of your Custom declaration and the type of goods, you will be in the Green Line = all clear you can continue your transport towards your destination. You will be in the Orange Line = you need to get controlled on your goods by Customs / or controlled by the SIVEP (for any goods with a sanitarias or phytosanitary certificate)

  1. Starting from January 1st, 2021 

    For the UK authorities (UK Export) GMR is required only for goods travelling under Transit (CTC).
    For French authorities (EU Import) references of import documents are required including Transit.

  2. Starting from July 1st, 2021

    For the UK authorities (UK Export) GMR is required for all vehicles even if empty or postal.
    For French authorities (EU Import) references of import documents are required including Transit.

Before travelling, either the driver must have the sanitary certificates on board or hauler has to be sure that the digital sanitary certificate has been sent with the relevant DCSE to the French sanitary authorities through TRACES NT.

They will then be required to proceed to the Centre Douane SIVEP after the crossing where the relevant certificates will be requested by the SIVEP agents.

Customers carrying seafood will need to proceed directly to the SIVEP facility in Boulogne-sur-Mer.

In some rare occasions, for instance when goods of plant or animal origin are declared as unsuitable for entry into the EU for sanitary reasons by SIVEP, the owner of the goods will be asked to choose between having the goods destroyed (at their cost) or travelling back to the UK, escorted by the authorities (at the haulier’s cost).

Green or orange instructions will be given to your driver directly after his crossing and clearly displayed on digital panels on the exit road.
When going to the orange line, you will be asked to provide additional information about your customs, to provide additional documents, or certificate in case of transport of Sanitary, Phytosanitary goods.